Prawn eggplant curry is an authentic seafood dish from south India and it is made in different styles from different parts of the region and hence the spice level and ingredients vary accordingly. Here we paired prawn with eggplant which naturally has a seafood flavor and can complement the taste of the prawn very nicely. This spicy, juicy, and aroma-filled curry was prepared without coconut and has a unique taste compared to the one prepared with coconut. This curry can be served as a side dish with rice, chapati, roti, idli and dosa for lunch and dinner.
Please find the similar recipes below. Visit Seafood Recipes for more.
Village Style Fish Curry
Fish Stir Fry
If you are looking for more seafood recipes from fish to prawn and from side dishes to main dishes, you can take a look at this collection of Indian Seafood Recipes from this blog in one place. Take a peek!
Prawn Eggplant Curry without coconut
- 2.25 lb Prawns
- 4 Eggplant, sliced
- 1 cup Shallots, diced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 10 pod Garlic
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dhal
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 4 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt, as needed
- 3 tbsp Oil
- ½ cup Water
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Marinate the cleaned and deveined prawns with 1 tsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of coriander powder, ½ tsp of turmeric powder, and salt. Keep it aside for at least 15 minutes
To Prepare Prawn Curry
- In a pan add oil and allow it to heat in medium flame
- Now add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and urad dhal. Wait until it splutters and then adds onion, garlic and saute until it becomes soft
- Now add chili, coriander, and turmeric powder, give it a nice stir and then add sliced tomatoes and combine everything well
- Allow the tomatoes to turn mushy
- Now add the cut eggplant to the above mixture and salt to it and incorporate everything well
- Close the lid and cook until the eggplant turns soft
- Now add the marinated prawn to the mixture and combine thoroughly
- Splash some water to it and close the lid
- Cook the prawn eggplant mixture in medium heat for about 10 minutes
- Now open the lid and simmer the stove and cook the gravy for at least 10 minutes or until the gravy leaves oil from its sides
- Now remove the pan from the heat and garnish with some cilantro/coriander leaves
- Serve the warm prawn eggplant curry with rice, dosa, idly, or chapati
Frequently asked questions
Marinated prawns cooked along with onion tomato based sauce with or without coconut is called prawn curry.
Yes, you can skip eggplant.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.