Pizza Pinwheels is one of the variations of Pizza, a savory dish of Italian origin, usually, around a flattened base of leavened wheat-based dough topped with tomatoes, cheese, and often various other ingredients and it is then baked at a high temperature, traditionally in a wood-fired oven.
This pizza pinwheels recipe given below is a modified adaptation of regular pizza in which the dough is filled with toppings and then rolled, sliced into the shape of a pinwheel. The dish is super soft, cheesy and the flavors from the mixed herbs seasoning make it a perfect, irresistible starter/snack for any occasion.
Pizza Pinwheels Recipe Video
I have also shared video instructions for this Pizza Pinwheels recipe below. And I believe these easy detailed Instructions will help you to make/prepare the dish at home. Also, you could find the recipe in story format for a quick reference.
More Snack Recipes
- 3 cup All Purpose flour, or maida or wheat flour
- ¾ cup Milk, warm
- 2 tsp Instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Italian herbs, dried
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup Pizza sauce, or tomato ketchup
- ¼ tsp Bell Peppers, mixed
- ¼ cup Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp Olive, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Italian Herbs
To Prepare Pizza Dough
- In a large bowl add warm milk, yeast, egg, oil, salt, and sugar and whisk to combine
- Now add 3 cups of all-purpose flour/maida and knead it into a dough
- If the dough is sticky, add extra oil and flour gradually to combine together
- Now cover the dough in the bowl with a wrap
- Keep it in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in its size
To Prepare Pinwheels
- Dust the counter with the flour and punch down the raised dough and knead it for 1 to 2 minutes
- Roll the pizza dough evenly
- Make the dough into a rectangular shape by stretching it with hands
- Now evenly spread the pizza sauce/tomato ketchup on the dough leaving at least 1 inch from the border around the edges. Add the shredded mozzarella cheese evenly to the pizza sauce and then add mixed bell peppers, onion, olives, and mixed herbs
- Now starting from the long side of the dough, roll it upwards tightly into a log
- Slice the log into equal pieces
- Place the sliced pizza wheels in a greased baking tray and bake it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit/180 degree Celsius for about 25 to 30 minutes or until dough is golden in color
- Remove the pizza pinwheels from the oven
- Serve the Pizza pinwheels as a snack or appetizer
- Pizza dough prepared here is made with unbleached all purpose flour, but it can also be replaced with whole wheat flour or bread flour
- We have used mixed herbs while making pizza dough to make the crust more flavorful without being bland. Crushed garlic and pepper flakes can be also added to enhance the flavor
- Do not skip the pizza dough to rest in warm place for at least 30 minutes or until doubled in it's size which results in soft and airy pizza pinwheels
- We have used tomato ketchup instead of traditional pizza sauce which gives similar results
- Mozzarella cheese which is used in the recipe goes best for all pizza dishes but other cheeses like provolone, Cheddar, Colby, Edam, Emmental, and Gruyere also gives great taste for factors like moisture, free oil content, and elasticity.
- We have prepared mixed vegetables fillings for the pinwheels and other toppings like chicken, pepperoni, mushroom, broccoli etc.. can be also used
- This home made pizza can be refrigerated up to several days or it will freeze for up to months
The key to achieving soft pizza pinwheels is by using the right quantity of ingredients. Allowing it to ferment in a warm place gives a perfect soft pizza.
Use topping of your choice from pepperoni to vegetables.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.