Prawn Masala or Prawn Thokku is an authentic seafood gravy dish from South India and it is made in different styles from different parts of the region and hence the spice level and ingredients vary accordingly. The Prawn Masala recipe given below is a spicy semi-gravy version which is also called Erak thokku in Tamil. This Prawn Masala is juicy, tasty, and finger-licking delicious seafood that can be relished as a side dish with rice, chapati, roti, idly and dosa, and main dishes for lunch and dinner.
Find similar recipes below and more at Seafood Recipes.
You could also find more Prawn recipes below.
More Shrimp Recipes
If you are looking for more seafood recipes from fish to prawns and from side dishes to main dishes, you can take a look at this collection of Indian Seafood Recipes from this blog in one place. Take a peek!
Prawn Masala or Thokku Video
I have also shared a detailed video instruction of Prawn Masala below which I believe will help you to make this delicious south Indian seafood dish easily at home. For a quick reference, you could also find this recipe in story format.
Prawn Masala (Eral Thokku)
- 1.7 lb Prawns
- 1 cup Pearl Onion, diced
- 4 Tomato, medium size, chopped
- 12 pods Garlic
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dhal
- ¾ tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt, adjust as needed
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1 sprig Curry leaves, to garnish
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp Salt
- In a bowl, take the cleaned and deveined prawns, and add the ingredients mentioned in the marination list above
- Marinate the prawn and keep it aside for at least 15 minutes
To Prepare Prawn Thokku
- In a pan with medium heat, add oil, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and urad dhal and wait until it splutters
- Add onion, garlic and saute until it becomes soft
- Now add chili, coriander, and turmeric powder, give it a nice stir
- Add sliced tomatoes and combine everything well until it turns mushy
- Now add the marinated prawns and combine everything thoroughly
- Cook the prawn in medium heat with the lid closed for about 10 minutes
- Now open the lid and simmer the stove and cook the gravy for at least 10 minutes or until the gravy leaves oil from its sides
- Switch off the heat and garnish the prawn masala gravy or thokku with some curry leaves
- Serve the warm spicy prawn masala with rice, dosa, idly, or chapati
Prawn Masala is a south Indian seafood dish in which the marinated prawns are cooked along with caramelized onions and tomatoes. It is called Eral thokku in Tamil.
Yes, frozen raw prawns, frozen cooked prawns, and fresh prawns can be used for this thokku.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.