Mexican Hot Chocolate is a delectable, spicy beverage that combines the richness of chocolate with warm spices like paprika and cinnamon. It's typically crafted using full-fat milk, semi-sweet chocolate, and cocoa powder, creating a thick and comforting drink ideal for chilly winter days.
This version of hot chocolate stands out with its mildly sweet yet spicy profile, offering a unique grainy texture that differentiates it from the typical sweet, non-spicy hot chocolate, which mainly focuses on chocolate flavors.
Simplified for home preparation, this recipe doesn't require traditional whisking tools, making it accessible for beginners. It's a delightful homemade treat that rivals the flavors of gourmet versions found in shops.
Discover More Mexican Favorite Drinks:
To prepare Mexican Hot Chocolate, you'll need a combination of sweet and spicy ingredients, most of which might already be in your pantry. Here's what you'll require:
- Chocolate Chips: Semi-sweet chocolate chips are ideal, but you can substitute them with dark chocolate bars or other semi-sweet chocolate varieties.
- Cocoa Powder: Use unsweetened cocoa powder for the best results.
- Condensed Milk: This adds a rich flavor to your drink.
- Vanilla Essence: A dash enhances the overall flavor.
- Spices: Paprika or chili powder combined with cinnamon powder brings a unique warmth and heat to the drink.
- Milk: Full-fat milk is preferred, but for a vegan-friendly option, consider non-dairy alternatives like almond, or oat milk.
- Sweetener: While the authentic recipe might use palm sugar, brown sugar works well. Feel free to choose a sweetener that suits your taste.
How to make Mexican Hot Chocolate?
Dive into the rich flavors of our Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe, a delightful fusion of warmth and sweetness. With our easy-to-follow guide, complete with photos and videos, you'll master this comforting beverage in no time. Let's begin:
Discover Additional Chocolate Drinks:
- Hot Chocolate
- White Hot Chocolate
- Hot Cocoa
- Hot Cocoa Mix
- Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Mocha Coffee
- Chocolate Milkshake
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups Milk, full fat
- ¼ cup Chocolate Chips, semi sweetened
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Condensed Milk
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- Whipped Cream, for topping
To make Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Start by heating milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chocolate chips and cocoa powder, stirring until they dissolve completely.
- Next, incorporate paprika, cinnamon powder, condensed milk, and brown sugar. Continue cooking, stirring regularly, until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the vanilla essence, then remove the saucepan from the heat. Your hot chocolate is now ready to serve.
- Allow the drink to cool to your preferred temperature, then pour it into a serving glass. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon powder for the perfect finish.
- Enjoy this homemade Mexican Hot Chocolate on chilly winter days for a cozy and warming treat.
Chef's Notes and Tips
- Thickness and Richness: Achieve the ideal thickness and richness by using full-fat milk, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder. If you prefer, substitute with reduced-fat or alternative milk options.
- Spice Level: The combination of paprika and cinnamon powder adds a gentle heat. For an extra kick, consider adding a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Sweetness: Brown sugar provides a subtle sweetness. Feel free to adjust with your preferred sweeteners to suit your taste.
Disclaimer: We’re not nutrition experts. Nutritional info is estimated and should be used as a guide. For precise details, consult a professional.
Discover our collection of Mexican and chocolate drink recipes, perfect for warming up your winter with their comforting flavors and aromatic delights. Each beverage is specially crafted for those cozy, chilly days.
Storage and Serving Suggestions
- Storage: Mexican Hot Chocolate is best enjoyed freshly made. However, if you have leftovers, they can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Ensure to keep it in a tightly sealed container to maintain its flavor and freshness.
- Serving: Ideal for cold winter days, this hot chocolate serves as a perfect warmer. It's also a great choice for any time you desire a rich and spicy chocolate drink. Just reheat gently before serving to revive its comforting warmth.