Vegetable biryani or Veg Biryani is a spicy, aromatic, and protein-rich rice dish which is popular in the Indian subcontinent and other neighboring countries. The making of this vegetable biryani and its ingredients vary from region to region based on the culture and tradition of the people. And it is best served for lunch and dinner along with raita.
About this Vegetable Biryani
The recipe given below is one-pot vegetable biryani in which different types of vegetables are cooked with aromatic basmati rice along with other different spices. This vegetable biryani is a tasty, flavorful, and one-pot wholesome meal for biryani lovers and can be served for lunch and dinner along with chicken curry, butter chicken, raita.
More biryani recipes.
- Mushroom Biryani
- Biryani Rice (Kuska Rice)
- Chicken Biryani
- Mughlai Biryani
- Ambur Biryani
- Mutton Biryani
- Fish Biryani
- Shrimp Biryani
To make your life easy, I have also created a collection of Biryani Recipes and Indian Vegetarian Lunch Recipes at one place for both vegetarian and non vegetarian lovers and I believe it will help you to plan your meal at home. Take a peek!
Vegetable Biryani recipe video
I have also shared a detailed video instruction of this vegetable biryani recipe below which I believe will help you to make this delicious and healthy vegetarian dish easily at home. For a quick reference, you could also find the recipe in story format.
Vegetable Biryani (Veg Biryani)
- 1 cup Basmati Rice, soaked for 15 minutes
- 1 cup Onion, sliced
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 2¼ cup Water
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Salt, adjust as needed
- 1 tsp Orange food color, optional
- 1 tsp Curd
- 2 Green chili, sliced
Spice and Seasonings
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Star anise
- 4 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon, small stick
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp All spice powder
- 3 tbsp. Mint leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp. Coriander leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup Beans
- ¼ cup Carrot
- ¼ cup Potatoes
- ¼ cup Green peas
To Prepare Vegetable Dum Biryani
- In a wide bottom pan with medium heat, pour oil and add cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaves, cardamom, cloves, green chili and saute until it is fragrant
- Now add the onion and saute until it turns soft
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute it until the raw aroma leaves
- Now add the tomatoes, saute until it turns mushy
- Add chili, coriander, turmeric, allspice powder, and salt. Combine everything well
- Add beans, carrots, potatoes, and boiled green peas give a quick toss
- Now add curd and saute for a minute
- Add 1 spring of chopped mint leaves and saute them well
- Pour ¼ cup of water and close the pan with the lid, cook for 5 minutes
- Open the lid and add the soaked basmati rice to the gravy mixture and combine everything well
- Add 2 cups of water and mix everything well
- Now add mint, coriander leaves and mix them well
- Finally, drizzle ghee and sprinkle a pinch of allspice powder and pour orange food color to the biryani mix
- Close and cook the biryani in dum for 15 minutes in low medium heat
- Switch off the heat and fluff the biryani
- Now the delicious one-pot vegetable biryani is ready and serve it with curd raita
The aromatic basmati rice cooked along with vegetables, spices, and herbs in a one-pot is called One-pot Vegetable Biriyani.
Basmati rice, Seeraga Samba, or Seeraga Sala rice is best for its aroma and unique flavor. These varieties of rice work great for Biryani recipes.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.