Black coffee is usually prepared in hot, iced, or cold versions. It is a strong, rich, and refreshing drink that has many health benefits to kick-start your day. It is traditionally brewed with fresh coffee bean powder or instant powder without creamer or milk. The recipe that I have shared here explains how to make black coffee in both hot and iced versions with clear step-by-step instructions and also the video to help your making process easy at home.
This black coffee recipe is one of the easiest drinks to make and is rich in antioxidants that have a lot of health benefits like weight loss. You can enjoy the hot version to refresh your morning breakfast or the cold to knock the heat in summer.
What is Black Coffee?
As we all know, the Black coffee recipe is one of the popular beverages across the globe that is usually prepared without milk or creamer. It is traditionally prepared with freshly ground coffee beans that are brewed in a hot water. Even though the hot version is more common, making them cold(iced) with instant or fresh coffee powder would be great for summer days as well.
This refreshing drink not only boosts your energy but also has a lot of health benefits when taken in moderation. And the best part is this recipe is also easy to customize according to your family's needs.
For hot & Iced black coffee
- Instant Coffee Powder - I have used instant coffee granules here but you can also use fine crystal powder or coarse coffee grounds. But make sure to strain the coffee if you are using coarse ones
- Brown Sugar - This is an optional ingredient and you can also use sweeteners or totally skip it to make a healthy drink. Alternatively, you could also repace the sugar with honey
- Hot Water - As needed to make a coffee
- Ice cubes - 4 to 5 cubes per glass, if you are making an iced version
How to make Black Coffee?
To make a hot black coffee, heat the filtered water in a saucepan and allow it to boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
Now add 1½ tsp of instant coffee powder, 1 tsp of brown sugar into an 8 oz coffee mug. Mix well both and pour in the boiling hot water. Stir well and serve hot. You can also adjust the sweetener according to your taste buds.
If you want your black coffee strong and rich then the quantity that I have mentioned in the recipe card would be intact. But if you are looking for something light then you can feel free to reduce the powder 1 tsp.
How to make Iced Black Coffee?
To make the iced or cold black coffee, Add 1½ tsp of instant coffee granules, 1 tsp of sugar, and pour water. Mix everything well and refrigerate it for 4 to 5 hours.
After 5 hours, fill the tall serving glass with ice cubes and pour in the chilled coffee. Enjoy it any time of the day at home or as a grab-and-go drink.
There are a lot of health benefits of black coffee when taken in moderation. Some of them are,
- Helps to reduce cirrhosis
- Improves your mood
- Helps in weight-loss
- May lower risk of type 2 diabetes
- Lowers stroke and much more.
Calories in Black Coffee
A single cup that is 8 oz of plain black coffee has only 2 calories. And it may vary if you are adding sweeteners to your black coffee. But another important fact to note is caffeine level which should not go over 400 mg per day(Source: WebMD). And it is also suggested not to go over 4 cups of coffee per day which will cause certain health issues.
You can always customize your black coffee according to your taste preferences. You can also use fresh ground coffee powders instead of making them at home. If you like to sweeten the coffee then you can also add brown sugar or honey. But it is better to cut down the sugar gradually to benefit from the coffee. And if you are looking for nice creamy black coffee, then you can try espresso for achieving the same.
To make a perfectly rich and strong black coffee, always make sure to add the ingredients in the right proportions.
To make the best-iced coffee, resting the mixture in the refrigerator is a key to cutting down the bitterness from it.
Mostly the iced coffee made with instant coffee granules won't be that bitter compared to freshly brewed ones. So to make a perfect cafe-style cold coffee, always steep the coarse ground coffee in water overnight to get the best results.
This instant black coffee can be made in under 5 minutes and storage is not required. But for iced coffee, you can always store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and enjoy it whenever you like to sip a drink.
You can always serve this hot or iced black coffee as a morning breakfast drink or as a mid-day drink.
You could also check similar recipes below and more at Coffee Recipes
More Iced Drinks Recipes
Black Coffee Video
I have also shared a video of both hot and iced black coffee versions that I hope will help you to make an easy drink at home. For a quick reference, you could also find this recipe in story format.
Black Coffee Recipe (Hot and Iced Black Coffee)
For Hot Coffee
- 1½ tsp Coffee Granules, Instant
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Boiling Water
For Iced Coffee
- 1½ tsp Coffee Granules, Instant
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar, optional
- 3 to 4 Ice Cubes
- 1 cup Water
To make Black Coffee (hot)
- In a saucepan with medium heat, boil water for 2 to 3 minutes
- In a cup add instant coffee powder and brown sugar and mix well
- Add 1 cup of boiled water to the coffee sugar mixture and mix well and now the hot black coffee is ready to serve
To make Iced Black Coffee
- In a jug, add instant coffee powder, sugar and pour in the water
- Mix well and refrigerate it for 4 to 5 hours
- Fill the serving glass with ice cubes and pour in the chilled coffee mixture and now it is ready to taste and enjoy
- Serve the delicious black coffee for breakfast or any time of the day
Tips to make perfect black coffee
- To make a perfectly rich and strong black coffee, always make sure to add the ingredients in the right proportions
- Resting the mixture in the refrigerator is a key to cut down the bitterness from it and it makes a best-iced coffee
- To make a perfect cafe-style cold coffee, always steep the coarse ground coffee in water overnight to get the best results
- You could also steep even for 20 to 22 hours to get a nice flavor and taste of the cold coffee
- I have added brown sugar to sweeten the black coffee but you can also use honey or other sweeteners of your choice
The black coffee drink is a common and popular beverage that is typically brewed with fresh ground coffee powder or instant mix. It is usually known for its rich and strong flavor. It is consumed either plain or with milk along with some sweetness. This drink is consumed hot or cold according to individual preferences.
Yes, a black coffee drink has a lot of health benefits when taken in moderation. Since they are rich in antioxidants they may help to reduce cirrhosis, Improve your mood, helps in weight loss, may lower the risk of type 2 diabetes, lower stroke, and much more.
A single cup that is 8 oz of plain black coffee has only 2 calories. And it may vary if you are adding sweeteners to your drink. But another important fact to note is caffeine level which should not go over 400 mg per day(Source: WebMD). And it is also suggested not to go over 4 cups of coffee per day which will cause certain health issues.
I really hope you enjoyed the recipe that I have shared here and I would love to hear from you on how it turned out for you. Please let me know.
If you have any other questions, feel free to post them in the comment section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.