The Arnold Palmer Drink, a delightful and simple non-alcoholic beverage, is perfect for hot summer days or as a refreshing party drink. Combining the rich flavors of tea and lemonade, it traditionally consists of equal parts iced tea and lemonade. Its namesake, the legendary golfer Arnold Palmer, popularized this thirst-quenching mix. Known by various names like Arnold Palmer Half and Half or Lemonade Tea, it offers a harmonious blend of tea and lemonade flavors.
You can easily tailor this drink to your taste, adjusting the tea and lemonade ratio as you like. While the classic Arnold Palmer is non-alcoholic, there's a spiked variation called the John Daly drink, incorporating vodka for an extra kick. Whether as a classic non-alcoholic version or the spirited John Daly, the Arnold Palmer Drink is a top choice for beating the heat or adding a special touch to social gatherings.
Explore More Lemon Drinks:
To make the Arnold Palmer Drink, you'll need simple ingredients that are commonly found in most kitchens and readily available at local grocery stores. Here's what you'll require:
- Lemon: Choose fresh, ripe lemons for a sweet and fruity flavor in the lemonade.
- Tea Powder: Either black tea loose leaf or black tea bags work well.
- Sugar: Needed for crafting the sugar syrup.
- Water: Used to dilute both the lemonade and tea.
- Mint Leaves: A fresh garnish to enhance the drink's presentation.
Note: While this recipe guides you to make the drink from scratch, you can opt for store-bought lemonade and iced tea for convenience. This alternative is great for saving time without compromising on taste.
How to make Arnold Palmer Drink?
Get ready to create the classic Arnold Palmer Drink, a perfect blend of tea and lemonade. Here's a simple, step-by-step guide to making this refreshing beverage, complete with photos and a video for each step to ensure your success. Let's dive into the recipe:
Enjoy Different Lemon-Infused Drinks:
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Pink Lemonade
- Shirley Temple Drink
- Aguas Fresca
- Rainbow Sherbet Punch
- Fruit Punch (Party Punch)
Arnold Palmer Drink
For Iced Tea
- ¼ cup Tea Powder, black loose leaf or 6 black tea bags
- 2 cup Water, brewing tea powder
- 6 cup Water, for diluting
- 2 cup Sugar
- 2 cup Water, for syrup
- 10 Lemon, medium size
- 2 cup Water, for diluting the juice
- Ice Cubes, to serve
- 1 slice Lemon , to serve
- Mint Leaves, to garnish
To make Iced Tea
- Start by boiling 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Stir in ¼ cup of black tea powder or place 6 black tea bags into the water, and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the heat and cover the saucepan, allowing the tea to steep for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and if you've used tea powder, strain the tea into a pitcher; if you've used tea bags, simply take them out.
- Finally, pour 6 cups of cold water into the pitcher to dilute the tea. Place it in the refrigerator to cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
To make Lemonade
- In a saucepan, combine 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water.
- Mix the sugar and water well in the saucepan, then bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the sugar syrup from heat and allow it to cool down.
- Cut all the lemons in half and transfer them to a bowl.
- Place a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and use a fork, spoon, lemon skewer, handheld squeezer, or citrus press to squeeze the juice from the lemons. The number of lemons used should yield about 2 cups of juice.
- Mix the pulp collected in the strainer thoroughly to extract as much juice as possible.
- In a large pitcher or bowl, combine the lemon juice, the reserved sugar syrup, and 2 cups of water. Mix well, then refrigerate the mixture until it's ready to be served.
- In a serving glass, place a lemon slice and some ice cubes. Pour in the chilled lemonade. Then, pour the reserved iced tea on top of it. Your fresh Homemade Arnold Palmer Drink is now ready to be savored and enjoyed.
- Serve this Arnold Palmer Drink as a refreshing summer beverage or as a delightful treat for gatherings and parties.
Chef's Notes and Tips
- Freshness Counts: For the most flavorful and aromatic drink, prepare a fresh batch of lemonade and iced tea. This step ensures the best taste for your Arnold Palmer.
- Ideal Ratio: A classic Arnold Palmer is made with equal parts lemonade and iced tea. This 1:1 ratio provides a balanced blend of both flavors. Feel free to adjust the ratio to suit your personal taste preferences.
- Time-Saving Option: If you're short on time, using store-bought lemonade and iced tea is a convenient alternative. This option offers a quick way to enjoy the drink without significantly affecting the taste.
- Origin of 'Half and Half': The Arnold Palmer Drink is often referred to as 'Arnold Palmer Half and Half' because it is traditionally made with equal parts lemonade and iced tea. This half-and-half composition is key to its unique flavor and namesake.
Disclaimer: We’re not nutrition experts. Nutritional info is estimated and should be used as a guide. For precise details, consult a professional.
Storage and Serving Suggestions
- Storage: Keep both the lemonade and iced tea in separate pitchers in the refrigerator. They can be stored this way for up to a week.
- Serving: Whenever you fancy an Arnold Palmer, blend equal parts of chilled lemonade and iced tea in a glass. This creates a refreshing and invigorating drink, perfect for warm summer days. Serve immediately for optimal freshness.