Chicken soup is a tasty, comforting Chettinad, Tamilnadu style dish. The traditional chicken soup is prepared with country chicken which is simmered in water with masala powders and different spices. This soup has acquired a reputation as a folk remedy for cold and cough. Chicken soup is delicious, tasty, and considered as perfect comfort food that can be served as a starter or over the rice for lunch and dinner.
What is Tamilnadu Chicken Soup?
Chicken Soup is one of the popular Tamilnadu soup dishes. It is usually prepared with chicken, typically country chicken.
This chicken soup is a chettinad soup basically prepared with Indian spices, masala, and other natural flavoring agents. Especially the whole spices used in the recipe give a whole lot of flavor to the dish. Not to mention the pepper and cumin powders that are used in the recipe helps in relieving cold, cough, and fever.
Even though there are plenty of soup recipes are prepared across the world, this chicken soup is unique for its taste and flavor. And you could find this dish in most Tamilnadu restaurants as a starter in their menu cards. It is also one of the regular dishes in most south Indian houses, particularly in Tamilnadu.
Overall, this chicken soup is one of the go-to comfort food when you really crave something hearty and soothing. It can be perfect to have it over rice or just as it is. Usually, I really love this hot bowl soup with a crunchy Chicken Pakora as an aside.
Ingredients for Chicken Soup
The ingredients requires for this soup are mostly straightforward and may need to make a trip to your Indian grocery. And belive me the dish is totally worth that you could not resist to make it again. Yes it is damn delicious and boost your energy when you are really down.
Indian spices and masala
- Spices- Bay leaves, cinnamon, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and star anise gives a nice flavor and taste to the dish
- Masala Powder- Turmeric, chili, coriander, and garam masala powder gives heat and flavor to this chicken soup
- Cumin and pepper powder- adding them at the final stage, gives this chicken soup a whole lot of flavor to the dish
Other main ingredients
- Chicken - country is best for this recipes but you can also use regualr organic chicken with bone in pieces.
- Coriander, curry leaves and green chili - Gives a freah aroma and flavor the most chicken recipes
- Sesame oil - Seasoning the ingredients with sesame oil gives a rustic and earthy flavor to the dish. And it is popular in chettinad chicken soup recipes.
- Ginger garlic paste - Helps in removing the raw smell of meat and enhances the flavor of any nonvegetarian dish.
- Onion and Tomatoes - I have used pearl onion that gives authentic flavor and tomatoes give slight sour taste to the soup
Variations in Chicken Soup
There are lot of variations in making this chicken soup recipe and differs from region to region and culture of the people.
Even though this chicken soup can be prepared with instant store brought spice powders, some also people prefer to make their own to achieve a traditional taste. So there is no one such way to make this chicken soup and you can feel free to recreate you own that best suit your family needs.
How to make Chicken Soup?
The recipe I have shared here is an authentic chicken soup from chettinad cuisine. And the quantity yields to 4 people. So let us see how to make/prepare this dish easily at home.
So to make this chicken soup, first I have seasoned all the masala in oil. Then I have sauteed the onion until soft. After that, I have sauteed the ginger garlic until aromatic and added in the tomatoes. I waited for the tomatoes to turn mush and once they are I stirred in all the masala powders and gave a good mix.
After that, I have added in the chicken pieces and gave a nice stir. Then I closed the pan with the lid and cooked the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes. Once the time passed, I opened the lid and added water and allowed the chicken to cook for some more time.
Finally I have added some cumin, pepper powder, minced garlic and coriander leaves and gave a final stir. Thats it! chicken soup is ready for us to taste and enjoy.
This Chicken soup stays good for a day at room temperature. And it stays food for 2 days in refrigerator in an airtight container.
This chicken soup tastes great on its own and it can be served hot over white rice. You can also combine this dish with side dishes like Chicken Chinthamani, Pepper Chicken, Chicken Sukka, and Chicken Chettinad
You could also find a similar recipe below and more at Chicken and Starter recipes.
Tamilnadu Chicken Soup Recipe video
I have shared the video instructions of this chicken soup recipe below and I believe it will help you to make this dish easily. For a quick reference, you could also find the recipe in story format.
Chicken Soup (Tamilnadu Style)
- 0.55 lb Chicken, with a bone cut and cleaned
- ½ cup Shallots, sliced
- 2 Green chili, sliced
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Sesame Oil
- 1 Bay leaves
- 4 Cardamom
- 1 Star anise
- 3 Cinnamon, small sticks
- 4 Cloves
- ¾ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dhal
- 2 Tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Salt, as needed
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Pepper powder
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves, chopped
To Prepare Chicken Soup | Kozhi Rasam
- In a pan with medium heat pour oil and add bay leaves, cardamom, star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, urad dhal and give a quick toss
- Now add small onion, green chili and saute until the onion turns soft
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw aroma leaves
- Put in the tomatoes and toss until it turns mushy
- Now add turmeric, chili, coriander, garam masala powder, salt and combine everything together
- Add chicken pieces to the above mixture and incorporate everything well
- Close the pan with the lid and cook the chicken for about 5 minutes
- Now open the lid, pour the water and allow it to boil for 10 minutes with lid closed
- Open the lid and finally add cumin, pepper powder, crushed garlic and give a quick mix
- Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the heat
- Serve the hot chicken soup/rasam as it is or with white rice
Chicken soup is an authentic Indian soup recipe in which chicken is simmered in boiling water along with whole spices and herbs.
Yes it has acquired great reputation of folk remedy for cough and cold.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.
Leave a Review