Chicken and Rice Soup is a comforting, nutritious one-pot meal ideal for any meal. This simple homemade recipe combines tender chicken breast, vegetables, and rice in a savory broth, making it a perfect choice for both lunch and dinner. It's not only a tasty option but also a healthy one, offering protein from the chicken and fiber from the vegetables.
The soup's warm and savory flavors make it a delightful comfort food, especially when you're feeling under the weather. Versatile and customizable, you can easily adjust it to your dietary preferences, such as adding more veggies or substituting with brown rice. Enjoy this easy-to-make, year-round favorite that's both satisfying and nourishing.
Explore More Rice-Based Culinary Adventures:
Ingredients and Substitutions Overview
To prepare Chicken and Rice Soup, you'll need the following ingredients, most of which are readily available in grocery stores:
- Chicken Breast: This is the main protein source and adds a savory flavor to the soup. Alternatively, you can use leftover roasted, baked, or rotisserie chicken to save time.
- Basmati Rice: It serves as a comforting base, absorbing the flavors of other ingredients. Feel free to substitute with white rice, brown rice, or jasmine rice according to your taste.
- Onion and Garlic: These aromatics contribute depth and complexity.
- Carrots and Celery: They provide a sweet, earthy flavor and add both texture and nutrition.
- Chili Sauce and Soy Sauce: These ingredients introduce a spicy and salty dimension to the soup.
- Dried Oregano and Fresh Parsley: These herbs infuse a subtle, fresh flavor.
- Oil: Essential for sautéing the chicken and vegetables, it also enriches the soup's flavor.
- Chicken Broth: Acts as the soup's liquid base, offering both a comforting taste and additional nutrition.
- Black Pepper: It gives a mild heat, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
How to Make Chicken and Rice Soup at Home?
Get ready to create a comforting bowl of Chicken and Rice Soup with this easy-to-follow recipe. Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions accompanied by photos and a video to guide you through each stage of preparation. Let's begin:
Discover More Comforting Soup Recipes:
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Chicken Ramen
- Hot and Sour Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Tom Kha Gai Soup
- Turkey Chili
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 lb Chicken Breast, skinless and boneless
- 2 tsp Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 2 ribs Celery , diced
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Chili Sauce
- ¾ cup Rice, long grain, I have used basmati here
- 6 cups Chicken Broth, reduced sodium
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder, or adjust according to your heat level
- Salt, to taste
- Parsley Leaves, to garnish
To Make Chicken and Rice Soup
- In a pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add bay leaves, onion, and garlic. Sauté until they become aromatic.
- Add celery and carrots. Season with salt and continue sautéing until the vegetables soften.
- Stir in chili sauce and oregano. Add the chicken breast, ensuring it's well-coated in the sauce.
- Pour in 6 cups of chicken broth, rice, and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat. Let the soup simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the rice to cook and flavors to meld.
- Remove the chicken breast, shred it using a fork, and set aside. Continue simmering the soup until the rice is fully cooked.
- Return the shredded chicken to the soup, stirring gently. Note: Basmati rice typically cooks in 15 minutes, but other rice types might need more or less time.
- Check the flavor and adjust salt as needed. Add black pepper for extra heat if desired. Remember, chicken broth often contains salt, so add cautiously.
- Finish with a garnish of parsley leaves. Give the soup a final gentle stir before removing it from the heat.
- Enjoy this comforting Chicken and Rice Soup on its own or pair it with your favorite sides for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
Chef's Notes and Tips
- Flavorful Broth: For a rich, flavor-packed soup, using chicken broth or stock is key. This simple choice significantly enhances the soup's taste.
- Chicken Choices: Cooking chicken with the rice in the broth adds depth to the flavor. If time is limited, opt for pre-cooked options like leftover roasted, baked, or rotisserie chicken.
- Rice Cooking Method: To create a convenient one-pot meal, cook the rice with the chicken. For batch cooking and freezing, consider cooking rice separately to prevent it from absorbing too much broth, which can alter taste and texture.
- Rice Varieties: This recipe uses long-grain basmati rice, but it's adaptable to your preferred type, like white, brown, or jasmine rice. Remember to adjust the cooking time based on the rice you choose.
- Salt Consideration: Since chicken broth often contains salt, taste your soup before adding more. Adjust the seasoning as needed to achieve the perfect balance.
Disclaimer: We’re not nutrition experts. Nutritional info is estimated and should be used as a guide. For precise details, consult a professional.
Delve into our assortment of cozy chicken soup recipes, heartwarming comfort food, and genuine rice-based dishes. Savor the rich tastes and fulfilling textures with creations like creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup, aromatic biryanis, and other comforting delights.
While best enjoyed fresh, Chicken and Rice Soup can be conveniently stored for later use. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to two days. If freezing, store the rice and soup separately to preserve texture and flavor, allowing it to last around a month. To serve, thaw, reheat on the stove or microwave, and add cooked rice for a hearty meal.
Chicken and Rice Soup is a satisfying dish on its own, but it can also be complemented with various sides for a fuller meal. Consider these options:
- Bread: A crusty loaf or warm dinner rolls make a great accompaniment, ideal for sopping up any leftover broth.
- Salad: Pair your soup with a light green salad or some roasted vegetables for a burst of freshness and added nutrition.
- Grilled Cheese: Combine comfort foods by serving a classic grilled cheese sandwich alongside your soup.
- Crackers: Add a crunchy element with a side of crackers or croutons to enhance the soup's texture and flavor.