Oven Fried Chicken offers a guilt-free twist on a beloved classic. This recipe combines the irresistible crunch and flavor of traditional fried chicken with a healthier approach. Baked instead of deep-fried, it uses chicken thighs and drumsticks, seasoned simply and coated for that perfect crispy texture.
Not only does it have fewer calories and less fat, but it also maintains its delectable taste and satisfying crunch. Ideal for both casual family dinners and special occasions, this dish is sure to please anyone looking to indulge in fried chicken without the extra calories.
Give this Oven Fried Chicken a try – it's a crowd-pleaser that caters to health-conscious preferences without compromising on flavor.
Discover a Variety of Baked Chicken Delights:
- Baked Chicken Wings
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Baked Chicken Breast
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
Ingredients and Substitutions Overview
For this Oven-Fried Chicken recipe, you'll need a selection of common pantry items and spice powders. Here's what you'll need to gather:
Ingredients for Breading:
- Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks (Skinless, Bone-In): These cuts are perfect for oven-frying due to their juiciness and flavor. The bone helps retain moisture during cooking. Alternatively, boneless chicken breast can be used, but remember the cooking time may vary.
- All-Purpose Flour: This forms the base of your breading, essential for achieving a crispy, golden coating.
- Cornstarch: Added to the breading, cornstarch ensures a lighter, crunchier texture on the chicken.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: Opt for Italian panko for a coarser, flavor-packed coating. Regular breadcrumbs mixed with Italian seasonings are a suitable substitute.
- Buttermilk: Acts as a tenderizer for the chicken. In its absence, milk or a mixture of milk with 1 teaspoon of vinegar can be used for similar results.
- Eggs: Beaten eggs help the breading stick to the chicken, contributing to the crispiness.
- Spice Powders: A mix of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and black pepper powder. These spices infuse the chicken with a savory and aromatic flavor.
- Oil Spray: A fine mist of oil spray is applied to the breaded chicken. This aids in achieving even browning and a delightfully crisp texture in the oven.
How to Make Oven Fried Chicken at Home?
Get ready to transform your kitchen into a haven of crispy, aromatic delight with this Oven-Fried Chicken recipe. Follow these simple steps to season, bread, and oven-fry your chicken to perfection. Let's dive into the process!
Explore a World of Delicious Fried Chicken Dishes and More:
- Oven Fried Chicken Tenders
- Classic Fried Chicken
- Fried Chicken Tenders
- Fried Chicken Wings
- Korean Fried Chicken
- Chicken Nuggets
- Popcorn Chicken
- Chicken Cutlets
- Fish Fry (Fried Fish)
- Fried Shrimp
Oven Fried Chicken
- 4 Chicken Thighs, skinless
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks, skinless
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup All Purpose Flavor
- ½ cup Italian Panko Breadcrumb
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- ¼ cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder, ½ tsp for chicken + ½ tsp for the breading
- 1 tsp Onion Powder, ½ tsp for chicken + ½ tsp for the breading
- 1½ tsp Paprika, 1 tsp for chicken + ½ tsp for the breading mix
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ¾ tsp Black Pepper Powder, ½ tsp for chicken + ¼ tsp for the breading mix
- Salt, 1 tsp for seasoning and to taste for breading
To Make Oven Fried Chicken
- Begin by creating your seasoning mix. In a bowl, combine paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder, and salt. Stir these ingredients until they're well mixed.
- Next, prepare your chicken. In a large bowl, add chicken thighs and drumsticks. Sprinkle the seasoning mix you've just prepared over the chicken. Pour buttermilk and two beaten eggs over the seasoned chicken. Gently mix everything together, ensuring the chicken is well-coated.
- Allow the chicken to marinate. Cover the bowl and let the chicken rest. A minimum of 15 to 30 minutes is ideal, but if you have more time, you can extend the marination up to 1 hour for deeper flavor infusion.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare your breading mixture. In a shallow tray, combine all-purpose flour, cornstarch, breadcrumbs, additional paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper powder, and a bit of salt. Mix these dry ingredients well.
- Now, coat the chicken. One piece at a time, dredge the marinated chicken in the breading mixture. Ensure each piece is thoroughly coated, then gently shake off any excess flour. Repeat this process for all the chicken pieces.
- Preheat your oven and prepare the baking tray. Line the tray with parchment paper and arrange the breaded chicken pieces on it. Lightly spray the chicken with oil, which will help achieve a crispy, golden brown finish.
- It's time to bake! Place the tray in a preheated oven set at 390°F. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the oven. Your Oven Fried Chicken is now ready to be served and enjoyed!
- Pair Oven-Fried Chicken with a variety of sauces and sides. Choose from ketchup, honey mustard, or tzatziki sauce, and complement with roasted vegetables, potatoes, mac n cheese, or a simple salad for a versatile, satisfying meal.
Chef's Notes and Tips
- Spice it Up: Don't hold back on the spice powders. They are crucial for flavor enhancement. Feel free to adjust the heat level by altering the amount of paprika or adding chili powder or cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
- Buttermilk and Eggs: These ingredients are vital for marinating the chicken and ensuring an even coating of breading. If buttermilk is unavailable, a mixture of milk and a teaspoon of vinegar is an excellent alternative.
- Oil Spray: While optional, a light spray of oil on the breaded chicken aids in achieving that desirable golden, crispy exterior.
- Cooking Temperature and Time: Aim for an oven temperature of 390°F, cooking the chicken for about 45 to 50 minutes. However, this may vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken pieces.
- Safety First: Always ensure the chicken reaches the safe internal temperature of 165°F as advised by the FDA. A kitchen thermometer can be a handy tool for this.
Disclaimer: We’re not nutrition experts. Nutritional info is estimated and should be used as a guide. For precise details, consult a professional.
Explore our collection of fried chicken recipes, paired with an array of flavorful salads, dips, and sauces. Ideal for gatherings, these crispy, savory delights promise to tantalize your taste buds and elevate your dining experience.
Oven-Fried Chicken pairs beautifully with a variety of side dishes. Here are some delightful options to round out your meal:
- Roasted or Baked Vegetables: Try broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, or sweet potatoes for a nutritious and flavorful addition.
- Potatoes dishes: Creamy mashed potatoes, crispy baked potatoes, or savory roasted potatoes complement the chicken perfectly.
- Coleslaw: A fresh, crunchy coleslaw adds a refreshing contrast to the rich flavors of the chicken.
- French Fries: Their crispy texture makes a satisfying pair with the crunchy chicken.
- Baked Beans: A side of baked beans brings a touch of sweetness and depth to your meal.
- Corn on the Cob: Simple yet delicious, it's an easy and tasty choice.
- Salad: Opt for a light green salad with a vinaigrette dressing for a healthy and refreshing side.
- Macaroni and Cheese: Indulge in the creamy, cheesy goodness of mac and cheese for a comfort food treat.
- Dips: Elevate your dish with dips like Honey mustard sauce, tartar sauce, ranch or garlic parmesan sauce for added flavor.
- Refrigeration: Best enjoyed fresh, but if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. They'll keep well for up to two days. Reheat in a preheated oven at 350°F for 15-30 minutes until thoroughly warm.
- Freezing: For longer storage, Oven-Fried Chicken can be frozen for up to a month, making it a convenient make-ahead meal. Freeze the chicken on a parchment-lined tray for an hour, then transfer to freezer bags. When you're ready to eat, thaw it overnight in the fridge and reheat in the oven or microwave.