Roasted Chickpeas are a delightful, nutritious snack, perfect for any time of the day. Rich in protein, dietary fiber, and essential nutrients, they can be easily made in an oven, pan, or air fryer. These crispy, vegan-friendly chickpeas are versatile enough to be a snack on their own, or to add a crunchy element to salads and wraps.
They are not only a healthy choice for adults but also a kid-friendly finger food. Just ensure young ones are used to such foods and know how to eat them safely. Enjoy this simple, wholesome snack, tailored to your taste preferences.
Explore more Chickpea favorites!
For these vegan-friendly Roasted Chickpeas, you'll need basic ingredients, easily customizable with your preferred seasonings. Here's what you'll require for the recipe:
- Dried Chickpeas: The base of the dish. Soak overnight and pressure-cook them for the perfect texture. Canned chickpeas are a convenient alternative.
- Oil: A key ingredient for roasting, it ensures your chickpeas get that desirable crispy exterior. Any neutral-flavored oil works well.
- Chili Powder: Adds a spicy kick. Adjust the amount to tailor the heat to your liking.
- Curry Powder: This brings a warm, aromatic flavor to the chickpeas. Alternatively, garam masala can be used for a slightly different flavor profile.
- Salt: Essential for seasoning and bringing out the flavors of the other ingredients.
Remember, the beauty of this recipe lies in its flexibility, so don't hesitate to get creative with your seasonings!
How to make Roasted Chickpeas?
Discover how to make delicious Roasted Chickpeas with our easy-to-follow recipe, available in both oven and pan-roasted versions. Our guide includes step-by-step instructions, photos, and a video to ensure a successful and enjoyable cooking experience. Let's start cooking:
Explore our range of nutritious vegetables, featuring various roasted and baked vegetables below:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Zucchini
- Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Tomato
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- 3 cups Chickpeas, soaked overnight (gives ≈ 8 cups cooked Chickpeas)
- 5 cups Water, to cook chickpeas
- 1½ tsp Chili Powder, 1 tsp for pan roasting + ½ tsp for oven
- 1½ tsp Curry Powder, 1 tsp for pan roasting + ½ tsp for oven
- Salt, as needed
- 4 tsp Oil, 2 tsp for pan roasting + 2 tsp for oven
To Cook Chickpeas
- In a pressure cooker over medium heat, add the chickpeas that have been soaked overnight, some salt, and 5 cups of water.
- Close the lid with its regulator and cook until you hear 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure has released, open the lid, drain the cooked chickpeas, and let them cool. Ensure they are completely dry by using a kitchen towel.
To make Oven-Roasted Chickpeas
- In a wide bowl, take 4 cups of chickpeas and drizzle them with oil. Season with salt, ½ tsp of chili powder, and ½ tsp of curry or garam masala powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the seasoned chickpeas to an oil-greased baking tray, ensuring an even spread.
- Roast the chickpeas in a preheated oven at 400°F for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, or until they become crispy.
- Once done, remove the roasted chickpeas from the oven, and they're ready to be savored. Enjoy!
To make Pan Roasted Chickpeas
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add oil, and put in 4 cups of drained cooked chickpeas. Stir-fry for 10 to 15 minutes until they become crispy.
- Add salt, ½ tsp of chili powder, and ½ tsp of curry or garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Your pan-roasted chickpeas are now ready to be tasted and enjoyed.
- Enjoy these crispy Oven-Roasted or Pan-Roasted Chickpeas as a wholesome snack or use them to enhance your salads and wraps. They add a delightful crunch and flavor to your dishes.
Chef's Notes and Tips
- Chickpea Preparation: Whether you use cooked or canned chickpeas, ensure they are thoroughly drained and patted dry. Removing moisture is crucial for achieving that desirable crispy texture.
- Roasting Temperature: The key to crispy chickpeas is the right oven temperature. Avoid setting it too high to prevent burning.
- Pan Roasting: While pan-roasted chickpeas may not be as crispy as oven-roasted ones, they still make a delicious snack.
- Seasonings: Get creative with your favorite spices and herbs to add a burst of flavor to your chickpeas.
Disclaimer: We’re not nutrition experts. Nutritional info is estimated and should be used as a guide. For precise details, consult a professional.
Delve into our curated selection of mouth-watering recipes, showcasing a variety of roasted and baked vegetables, along with savory vegetable side dishes. Each recipe is designed to enhance your meals and elevate your dining experience.
Roasted Chickpeas in Air Fryer
Here's a simple guide to making Air Fryer Roasted Chickpeas:
- Prep Chickpeas: Start by cooking and drying your chickpeas. You can use canned chickpeas, but be sure to drain and pat them dry.
- Seasoning: Season your chickpeas with your favorite spices or follow the spice powder recommendations in the recipe.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Set your Air Fryer to 390°F and place the seasoned chickpeas in a single layer. Roast them for about 12 to 15 minutes, remembering to shake the basket halfway through for that perfect crispy texture.
- Serve: Once they're done, your Air Fryer Roasted Chickpeas are ready to be tasted. If you'd like them even crispier, you can pop them back in the air fryer for an extra 2 minutes.
Pro tip: If you're using a lot of spice powders, it's best to add them after roasting to avoid burning. Enjoy your crunchy chickpea snack!
Storage and Serving Suggestions
- Storage: Keep both pan-roasted and oven-roasted chickpeas fresh for up to two days by storing them in a sealed container at room temperature. It's best to consume them by the second day, as they tend to lose their crispness and become chewier.
- Serving: Enjoy these crispy and nutritious chickpeas as a snack on their own, or incorporate them into various dishes. They add a delightful crunch to salads, wraps, tacos, or any of your favorite meals, enhancing texture and flavor.
These suggestions will help you savor your Roasted Chickpeas in the best way possible!