Chicken Parmesan, also known as Chicken Parmigiana, is a beloved Italian-American classic. Originating as a variation of the traditional Eggplant Parmesan, this dish swaps eggplant for breaded chicken breast.
Each piece of chicken is generously topped with savory marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese before being baked to perfection in a high-temperature oven. Known globally for its crisp, cheesy goodness, Chicken Parmesan is a testament to the versatility of Parmesan cheese in cooking.
Ideal as a hearty main course or a substantial side dish, Chicken Parmesan can be enjoyed on its own or served over pasta. In some American eateries, it even finds its way into sandwiches, making for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Discover the world of Chicken Breast Recipes:
- Baked Chicken Breast
- Garlic Butter Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Lemon Chicken
- Pesto Chicken
- Chicken Marsala
- Chicken Piccata
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
Ingredients and Substitutions Overview
To craft a delightful Chicken Parmesan, you'll need readily available ingredients found in most supermarkets. Here's a detailed breakdown of what you'll require:
For Tomato Sauce:
Below are the ingredients for a basic yet flavorful Tomato sauce. Alternatively, you can refer to my more elaborate Pasta Sauce recipe previously shared on this blog for a different twist.
- Tomato Puree: Store-bought tomato puree is a convenient choice. However, homemade crushed tomatoes are an excellent substitute, offering a fresh and robust flavor.
- Garlic and Onion: Freshly minced garlic and onion are crucial for infusing your sauce with depth and aroma.
- Italian Seasonings: A blend of basil, parsley, oregano, and garlic powder. These seasonings contribute to the sauce's authentic Italian aroma and rich taste.
- Mozzarella Cheese: This cheese is renowned for its excellent melting qualities and adds a creamy, gooey texture to the dish.
- Olive Oil: A staple in Italian cooking, olive oil is used for sautéing the garlic and onion, which forms the base of your sauce.
For Breading the Chicken:
- Chicken Breast: Two large chicken breasts, halved. Skinless chicken thighs are a great alternative for a different texture.
- Eggs: A versatile ingredient, known for their rich flavor and binding properties, essential in baking and cooking.
- Flour Mix: A combination of all-purpose flour and cornstarch creates the perfect base for breading.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: These Japanese-style breadcrumbs are key for achieving a crispy, crunchy exterior.
- Parmesan Cheese: A hard, granular cheese known for its rich, nutty flavor and slightly gritty texture. Ideal for grating over dishes for added depth and savory taste.
- Chili Flakes & Pepper Powder: A dynamic duo in seasoning, chili flakes offer a spicy heat with a touch of smokiness, while pepper powder brings a sharp, pungent flavor.
How to make Chicken Parmesan?
Dive into the art of making Chicken Parmesan with our step-by-step guide. Complete with photos and video, this recipe will walk you through the process of preparing a rich tomato sauce, breading and frying the chicken, and assembling the classic Chicken Parmesan. Let's get cooking!
Embrace Parmesan's irresistible taste in these delectable recipes.
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Eggplant Parmesan
- Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Garlic Parmesan Pasta
Chicken Parmesan (Chicken Parmigiana)
- 2 Chicken Breast, pounded and halved
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- Salt, as needed
- 2 Eggs
- 4 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil Leaves
- 1 tsp Parsley
- ½ cup Panko Bread Crumb
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp Onion, chopped
- 14 oz Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil Leaves
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- Salt, as needed
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Parsley Leaves
- Italian Seasoning, to sprinkle
To Make Tomato Sauce
- Begin by warming olive oil over medium heat, then stir in garlic until its fragrance blooms.
- Introduce chopped onions to the pan, sautéing until they're tender.
- Blend in tomato purée, followed by a hearty sprinkle of dried oregano, basil, parsley, and chili flakes; season with salt and stir well.
- Lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cover the pan, letting the sauce bubble for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the lid to reveal your homemade tomato sauce, now ready to enhance your dish or to be stored for future culinary creations.
To Bread the Chicken
- Arrange the chicken breasts on a tray. Season with garlic powder, pepper, and salt, ensuring you coat both sides evenly.
- Crack two eggs into a bowl, season with salt, and whisk to a froth for later use.
- Combine all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt, dried basil, oregano, and parsley in a tray; mix well and set aside.
- In a different tray, mix panko breadcrumbs with grated Parmesan cheese thoroughly.
- Coat each seasoned chicken breast in the flour mixture. Gently shake off any excess.
- Submerge the floured chicken into the egg wash.
- Finally, press the chicken into the breadcrumb Parmesan mix, ensuring a full and even coat. Your chicken is now breaded and ready to be cooked to golden perfection in oil.
To Fry the Chicken
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, then gently place the breaded chicken breasts in the oil.
- Fry the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until both sides are crispy and golden brown.
- Once cooked, transfer the chicken from the oil and set it aside for topping or serving.
To Make Chicken Parmesan
- Arrange the fried chicken breasts on a greased baking sheet and spoon your homemade tomato sauce over each piece.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of mozzarella cheese on top, add a dash of Italian seasoning, and finish with a layer of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Once done, take the Chicken Parmesan out of the oven, also known as Chicken Parmigiana, and garnish with fresh parsley leaves before serving.
- Serve your Crispy Chicken Parmesan atop a bed of your favorite pasta, or pair it with a side of roasted broccoli or green beans for a delightful meal.
Chef's Notes and Tips
- Breading: The key to crispy chicken lies in a thorough breading process. Coat the chicken with flour, egg, breadcrumbs, and cheese for that ideal crunch. Skipping any of these steps might compromise the texture.
- Italian Herbs: Whether fresh or dried, Italian herbs are crucial for that authentic flavor. It infuses the dish with a taste reminiscent of traditional Italian cuisine.
- Tomato or Pasta Sauce: While I've prepared homemade tomato sauce for this recipe, a high-quality store-bought spaghetti, tomato, or pasta sauce can be a convenient substitute without sacrificing flavor.
- Baking Temperature: For the perfect finish, bake your breaded and fried chicken, topped with sauce and cheese, at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is beautifully golden.
- Air Fryer Option: Although this recipe is prepared on the stovetop, an air fryer is a great alternative for achieving similar results with a bit less oil.
Disclaimer: We’re not nutrition experts. Nutritional info is estimated and should be used as a guide. For precise details, consult a professional.
Looking for more? Explore our tantalizing assortment of chicken breast and fried chicken recipes, each offering a delightful blend of flavors and irresistible crunch. Whether it's a casual meal or a special occasion, these dishes are sure to gratify your craving for crispy, savory perfection.
Storage and Serving Suggestions
Storage: For optimal taste, enjoy Chicken Parmesan hot or warm, straight from the oven. If you have leftovers, they can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a day in a sealed container. To reheat, place them in an oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese bubbles again.
Serving: This crispy Parmesan Chicken, or Chicken Parmigiana, pairs beautifully with a variety of sides. Serve it over pasta or your choice of roasted vegetables like green beans and broccoli for a complete, satisfying meal.